Ardoch Businesses

Stores Logging/MillsCheese Factory

Ardoch Store

- About/History

Ernest R. Jacobi opened the first store in Ardoch around 1865. He also took over as Postmaster. Up until this time there were Ardoch Postmasters but not in the store setting. The store was a social setting, especially on Saturdays, when the men would gather and find their favourite spot on the bench to hear the gossip. Women would often go to the store and get their supplies at this time or visit nearby. In later years, the most popular time was when the mail was due in from Clarendon Station. Many hunting and fishing stories were yarned as they waited. Jacobi operated the store until 1879 when he sold to Alex Munro.
Some items that were available at the country store in the 1880’s were: 6 pair cotton towels ($0.50); 6 pair linen towels ($1.45); 27 yards of print ($2.57); 12 yards of elastic ($0.70); 1 dozen lawn handkerchiefs ($0.55); 6 dozen spools of thread ($2.13); 1 keg soap ($3.40); 3 dozen soap ($.75); 2 dozen thimbles ($0.22); 25 pounds of rice ($.98); 1 lb. nutmeg ($0.80); 50 pounds yellow sugar ($4.99); 1 dozen slate pencils ($0.15); 1 dozen lead pencils ($0.20); 6 shirts and 6 drawers ($2.13).
In 1903 Munro added a franchise to sell farm machinery through his business. Robert Munro took over after his father died in 1911 but sold out to Wallace Clement in 1914. Jim Derue bought the store as well as other businesses in 1918 and had a long ownership. Derue was noted as a strong community supporter, providing work for many, accepting items for barter, and donating to numerous causes. With the use of automobiles there became a need to sell gas as well so pumps were added.
From an interview with Jack Weber:
The store had a manual ledger, then later a crank cash register and then eventually an electric cash register in later years. There was a big box stove in the store. Supplies were shipped from Kingston on the K&P to Clarendon, picked up and brought to Ardoch. The men liked to sit out on the long benches outside the store. Flour was $25.00 a bag which was equivalent to 5 days pay.
In 1945 Don R. York purchased the store. He was actively involved in the community such as assisting with children’s activities of skating and hockey. It was noted that he purchased a pump for flooding the ice in the bay so children could skate for hours after school and weekends.
From an interview with Audrey Black (York):
Her Dad had a hoist put in beside the store and vehicles were repaired there by Charlie Hermer. The Post Office was part of the store and everyone would come and wait for the mail to be sorted. The store carried boots, hat pins, nylon stockings, men’s work clothes, hats, mitts, fishing lures, thread, needles, embroidery cotton, fabric, saws, hammers, nails, wrenches, gun shells, coal oil, kerosene oil, naptha gas, feed and grain, candy and ice. Cookies were displayed in a large box and you could scoop out as may as you wanted. A large wheel of cheese was on the counter and as much as you want would be cut off. Dates were sold by the box. The store rented boats on Malcolm and Ardoch Lakes as well as the river. Her Dad bought fur from local trappers and sold them to the Hudson Bay Company. National Grocers supplied the stock and there were salesmen who came to sell the products and if they came late in the afternoon they would stay across the road at Mrs. McDonald’s. Apples, oranges, hard candy and mixed nuts were brought in at Christmas as well as a supply of Christmas decorations. Inside the store there was a counter on the left just inside the door; open shelving was behind the counter the length of it with canned goods etc. There were coolers for pop and freezers for ice cream etc. Credit was given but there was no bartering. The store was open 7 days a week in the summer 8:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. and in the winter it closed on Sunday. Dad would open it on Sunday if you needed something. The men would congregate in the evenings through the week. Gas pumps were there when we took over, the hand pump type and electric ones were put in 3 years later. There was no electricity in the store so a Delco generator provided the electricity for it. Audrey York has provided CMCA with photos showing her Dad inside of the store. Such photos are very helpful to CMCA as we attempt to reconstruct the setting in our displays.
On the death of Don York, his widow Margaret carried on alone until 1957. At that time, she remarried to John McDonald. The store continued for many years with items such as fishing and hunting gear. People travelled many miles to buy footwear from the upstairs department. In 1977 the store was passed to Margaret’s son-in-law Robert Orchard. His brother, Douglas joined him in the business and operated as a Lucky Dollar Store only for a few years before it closed.
From an interview with Harold Perry:
When Jim Derue owned the store he went for the mail in Clarendon 3 times a week. Mail days were Monday, Wednesday and Friday. He kept a team of horses in Clarendon and he would take a team down there and would bring the other team back as it was a long trip. His son Earl took over the mail route. He had two other sons Bob and Jack.
There was a stand of drawers that lined the wall on the right as you went in the door of the store. Drawers held socks, mittens etc. Jim was good to the customers; he would put items on a tab for everyone who needed it. The Derues lived in the house beside the store known as the Munro house.
Jim used to sit on the porch out front of the store and watch across the bay for deer. When he saw one he’d tell the old people and they would go and get the deer and share it with Jim.
The store had grains, honey, corn syrup in big cans. It had big cans of jam with removable lids, like paint cans. Peanut butter was just coming out but he couldn’t remember if it was in a can or a jar. Dried prunes were also a staple. Everything was shipped by train and picked up at Clarendon Station.

- Gallery

Scullion House

- About/History

From Mona Perry
This is the info I got from my Dad Harold Perry and his sister Myrtle Perry.
Note: I have referred to my ancestors on the point as the old people. This is not a derogatory term; this is just what we have always referred to them as.
The Scullion house was also a store in Ardoch at one time in the front part of the house. Mike Scullion had a counter on the left side as you walked in the door. He had a few items – tea, beans maybe, Aunt Myrtle remembers buying tea.
Dad thought Mike might have been an undertaker too and maybe had the Post Office but not sure. Scullions got permission to build the house from the old people as it was aboriginal land.
He had a son Bert who was quite stern, Dad said. Dad remembers borrowing spiles for sap and accidently bending one. Bert got quite upset.
Three other sisters, Madonna, Winnie (married a Robbins) and one other who was also married and may have lived in Ottawa.
Bert had a workshop on the hill beside the house. He made small birch bark canoes (showpieces) because they were too small to use. Aunt Myrtle said there was also a dirt floor garage and a pen for a pig on the end and they also kept chickens.
Bert worked for hydro and eventually moved to the Tamworth area. Dad thought Mrs. Scullion moved with him. After they moved they rented out the house. Howard and Jenny Hermer lived there for a while. Gordon Jones, who owned a saw mill on Malcolm Lake, stayed there and Dad thinks Ken Shanks stayed there as well.

- Gallery

Logging/Mills

- About/History

The Chandler and Jones Lumber Company of Ogdensburg New York moved a mill to the river in Ardoch in 1909. It was the largest saw mill in Ontario at that time. The mill was powered by a large steam engine fed by two large boilers. They sawed all summer and piled the lumber in great piles next to the mill. As soon as the first freeze came teams of horses, pulling sleighs loaded down with lumber, made their way along a winter road that crossed the swamp and lake to Crotch Lake and then onto the rail road at Robertsville. Later they sold this mill to a man named Armitage.

Bramwell Watkins had a mill at Malcolm Lake in the late 1800's that was run by a water wheel.

Gordon Jones moved a mill to Malcolm Lake in the 1940's which was steam powered.

Jack Breen had a mill at Malcolm that was steam powered.

Amos Storey had a mill at the creek between Malcolm Lake and Green Lake in the mid 1930's that was steam powered. Jim Derue bought this mill in the 1940's and moved it to the Jeanneret property on the Smith Road across from the Ardoch school. It shut down after Jim died and later Francis Manion bought it and ran it for a couple of springs.

Davie O'Mell had a mill at Ardoch in the later 1930's back in across the highway from the Smith Road.

Roy Schonauer operated a mill at Ardoch in the Schonauer Road in more recent years.

Schonauer Brothers Logging are presently operating a mill on the Smith Road in Ardoch.

- Gallery

Ardoch Cheese Factory

- About/History

A building which had been erected as an Orange Hall was converted to a cheese factory by Alex Munro in 1895. The very first cheese maker was a man named Haskins. Wallace Clement purchased the factory in 1914 and employed Dempster Lyon as a cheese maker in 1915, 1916 and 1917. Dempster's wife Flossie worked as his assistant in 1917. Wallace sold the factory to Jas. Derue in 1918 and Dempster Lyon carried on as the cheese maker until the end of 1918.

Cheese makers in the Ardoch Factory (not necessarily in this order)

Phillips
Jas. Dack (1903-05)
O'brien (1907)
Walter Waghorn
Stinson
Dempster Lyon (1915-18)
Thomas Love (1919)
Adolph Glasser (1920)
Billy Gilmour
Billy Thompson
Frank Cassidy

The factory closed down in 1939.

- Gallery