Mississippi Businesses

Mississippi Store

- About/History

It was Isaac Allan, one of the Allan Brothers mill owner's on Millar's Lake, who built the store at Mississippi. He was Secretary-Treasurer of the Snow Road Presbyterian Church, Sunday School Superintendant, Librarian and Clerk of the township for three years. His first store was built on the east side of the railroad tracks. This first store became a private residence when he built his second store and later became a store again by Raymond Lloyd and Ed Sopha who did a small business there during the summer season. This second store, which later became known as the "Furniture House", was on the west side of the railroad tracks. In 1890 he then had Louis Marguerat build his third and final store beside his second store at which time this second store was used for storing furniture and coffins. This last store was a large building with an attached residence. This store did business as I. Allan and Son, as he had taken his son Roy in as a partner. This store listed several articles for sale: General Merchandise, Furniture, Renfrew Lime and Brick, Cordwood, Railway ties, Fence Posts, Lumber, Shingles as well as a full assortment of Undertaker's Goods on hand and Hearse in attendance. Isaac operated here until July 26, 1911 when he left for Kingston. His son Roy took over the store. Before Isaac left he gave a banquet for all his customers which was remembered for a long time. Roy operated the store until he too left for Kingston on March 28, 1918, where he established the Allan Lumber Company. William Geddes, who he been in partnership with for a time, took over the store. William Geddes and his family moved into the residence attached to the store and operated the store as W.A. Geddes and Sons. They operated the store, post office and funeral business as well as Caretaker-Agent for the railway station. In 1919 they sold the funeral business to W.J. Jackson of McDonalds Corners. William Geddes died in 1958. William's son John R. Geddes then took over the business and was caretaker-Agent of the railway until the station closed Sept. 1, 1959. In 1961 he decided to discontinue operating the general store at which time he sold his stock to Max Millar of Snow road.

-The Post Office
The first post office in Mississippi was in the Norman Clark residence. When the Clark family left in 1910 Wm Geddes took over as post master. In 1911 the Geddes family and the post office moved to the white house across the road and remained there until he took over the store from Roy Allan and installed the post office in the rear of the store. When John Geddes moved to Toronto the post office was then moved to the George Olmstead residence with Edith as post mistress where it remained until it closed Oct. 27, 1987 when Edith retired. The Mississippi residents then collected their mail from the green boxes at Gemmill's store in Snow Road.

- Gallery