Plevna Schools

Section School #2

- About/History

This school, probably the fourth or fifth to open in the area, was built by Elisha Playfair about 1863 (though not used for several years) and enlarged during the 1890s and again in 1922. Playfair had a saw mill and built a frame school when others were constructed of logs. Thos. Deacon was held in this school while awaiting trial for murder. It was used as a Building Supply Centre for a number of years and is now a private residence on Lookout Lane in Plevna.

- Gallery

Section School #4

- About/History

This, a log school, (located in the area of the current junction of Mountain and Grindstone Rds) was opened in 1863, possibly the first in the area, and originally numbered as No.2. Children from Buckshot/Plevna, in Clarendon, attended here with students from Miller Township. When it closed all students went to SS No.2 in Buckshot/Plevna.

Clarendon Central Public School

- About/History

This school was constructed in Plevna in 1962/3 and it opened for students April 10, 1963. Students from Fernleigh and Ardoch were already being bussed to the SS#2 in Plevna as the other one room schools in these areas had already closed. The old school would not hold all the students as the new school was being built so the grades 7 and 8 attended school in the old green hall across from the Anglican Church. That day in April all the students walked from the old school to the new one and what an exciting time it was. The school now had inside bathrooms and water fountains. In 1965 the students from Ompah and Canonto were bussed to Clarendon Central.
In 1967 Janet Kellar designed the crest for our school.

- Gallery