Snow Road Village

- About/History

Snow Road Village got its name from John Snow the man who did the survey for the old Snow Road, which began at Belfours Bridge and went through to Vennacher.

The K&P railroad had the first train into Snow Road in 1883. In 1913 the Canadian Pacific Railroad took over this line and in May 1915 they closed some of the stations making them flag stations, Snow Road being one of these. John A. Geddes was appointed caretaker/agent of the station at that time and continued as such until the station was closed in Feb. 1963. Snow Road was a busy spot during the 1920's and 30's, pulp wood was being shipped by farmers from as far away as Watsons Corners. It was common to see as many as 50 or more teams coming in hauling pulp wood and various other types of wood. The wood was loaded and shipped out on the K&P. Maple syrup was another large export, every spring this syrup could be seen piled as high as the ceiling in the freight shed and the balance on the platform outside. There was more syrup shipped from Snow Road then anywhere else in the dominion of Canada.

- Gallery